Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Disease Response
Since there is currently no vaccine to protect against coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to the virus. The following actions help prevent the spread of COVID-19, as well as other coronaviruses and influenza:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds or use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home as much as possible. Avoid large group gatherings and crowded spaces.
- Avoid unnecessary travel, as it increases the chance of getting and spreading COVID-19.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face mask when around others.
- Stay at least 6 feet (about 2 arm's length) between yourself and other people.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick both outside and inside your home.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces every day.
If you think you may have been exposed to COVID-19 and have symptoms like cough, fever, or difficulty breathing, call your healthcare provider first before going to a medical facility. Do not go to the emergency room unless your provider tells you to do so.
For more information, contact Samish Health Services (360) 298-4299 or the Washington State Department of Health call center at 1-800-525-0127.
Samish Public Health Manager
Mitch Markovich, RN
June 1, 2020