interior banner

Vocational Rehabilitation Blog

Disaster Cash Assistance

Nov 23, 2021, 11:36 AM by Donna Adamson

The Department of Social and Health Services has activated the Disaster Cash Assistance Program, or DCAP, to serve people affected by severe weather events. Households impacted by floods, landslides, mudslides and other hazardous events in the 14 counties included in Governor Inslee’s November 15, 2021, state of emergency declaration may be eligible for DCAP.

To be considered eligible for DCAP, a household must meet all of the following:

  • Have suffered losses
  • Be a resident of Washington state and live in one of the counties included in the emergency declaration
  • Meet household net income limits (ranging from $375 for one person up to $1,160 for eight people or more) after adjusting for income deductions, which may include any unreimbursed expenses due to damages caused by severe weather; and
  • No one in the assistance unit is eligible for any other cash program that could meet their needs.

Some households may ordinarily be over the income limit for a program like Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF, but could still fall under the net income limit for DCAP if they have financial losses that will not be covered within 30 days of application. Losses resulting from severe weather damage, including house, property and/or personal items, may be allowed and will reduce the amount of countable income, potentially bringing a household under the net income limit.

The Governor’s order grants a waiver allowing households that are impacted by the severe weather damage to receive assistance monthly. Households must reapply for DCAP each calendar month. Additionally, households may be eligible even if they received DCAP for the COVID-19 pandemic or wildfires within the past 12 months, as long as they meet all the eligibility criteria outlined above.

Other Assistance:
Households that suffer a loss of food purchased with Basic Food benefits as a result of this disaster, may apply to have benefits replaced. The loss must be reported within 10 days by calling 877-501-2233.

Households can visit to see if they qualify for DCAP, other cash programs, food, child care, long-term care and Medicare Savings Programs or to find other services.