Purpose: To ensure families are able to maintain energy bills and have safe and sufficient heat and cooling.
Energy assistance is important to all that receive it, but more so if someone in your household is elderly, disabled, or a young child under 5 years old. These persons are especially at risk for life threatening illness or death if their home is too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer.
What is the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program?
LIHEAP is a federally funded program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills.
What assistance does LIHEAP provide?
Bill payment assistance, crisis assistance, weatherization, and energy-related home repairs.
LIHEAP can provide the following weatherization materials:
- Foam Pipe Insulation
- Weather-stripping for doors & windows
- Plastic window insulation kits
- Portable heaters and fans
How do I qualify for the LIHEAP program?
You must be a Samish Tribal Citizen
Must reside within the 10-county service area.
To qualify, your household gross income must be at or below the amounts listed for your household size and you must live in our ten county service area: Whatcom, Skagit, Island, San Juan, Snohomish, King, Kitsap, Clallam, Jefferson or Pierce.
Use the chart below by finding the line containing your household size and comparing your income against the amounts listed to see if you are eligible.
Income Eligibility Criteria Matrix for October 1, 2022 – September 31, 2023
Benefit amount can change without notice, contingent on funding.
Qualifying members receive financial assistance worth 85%-100% of their heating or cooling costs.
The following limits apply:
- For heating minimum dollar amount $25.00 - maximum amount $1,500 per household.
- For cooling minimum dollar amount $25.00 - maximum amount $400.00 per household.
- For rural areas minimum dollar amount $25.00 -maximum amount $2,000.00 per household.
- For crisis weatherization maximum benefit amount $5,000.00 per household.
The following factors qualify households to assistance beyond 85%, up to 100% of heating and cooling costs.
Add 5% for any member in the Household that meets any of the following criteria:
- Elder 60 years of age or older*
- Children 5 and under*
- Individual with documented disability*
- Households that live in isolated areas*
*Must be verified to receive the additional (5%) benefit amount
Enrolling in LIHEAP is even easier by using your proof of enrollment in these other programs:
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
- Food Stamps